Fountains of Heraklion

Apart from the famous fountain of Morosini, Heraklion since the time of the Venetians had shown exceptional beauty and other fountains, which have survived until today.

Fontana Priuli

During the siege of the Khandax the Ottomans cut off the supply pipe to the Morosini Fontana, leaving the city dry. It was then that the General Antonio Priuli discovered underground water in a defensive ditch outside the Bethlehem Bastion. He diverted it to the Dermata Gate and in around 1666 he constructed a fountain which still exists behind the “Bodosakeion” School and bears his name.

The fountain was also known as "Fontana Nouva", and in the Ottoman period as “Delimarkos” fountain.

Fontana Bembo

The Fontana Bembo dominates what is now the Kornaros Square. It was built between 1552 and 1554 by Capetano Gianmatteo Bembo, the first person who managed to bring spring water in the town through an aqueduct.

The entire construction was originally immured into a storage cistern, which was removed in 1938 to make room for the square.

Fontana Sagredo

It was built by Giovanni Sagredo, the Duke of Crete, between 1602 and 1604, for the aristocrats who gathered in the Loggia. It was originally on the western side of the St. Titus Church, near the arsenal behind the Loggia.

During restoration work in the Loggia, the relief from the fountain - which was the only part preserved - was incorporated into the northern wall.

Idomeneus Fountain

This fountain was constructed in the late 17th century during the Ottoman rule. It is located behind the neoclassical building that is part of the Historical Museum of Crete. The fountain has two columns with capitals bearing vegetal motifs. Between them there is a marble slab with relief decorations and a Turkish inscription set in an arched niche. The water flowed from an opening in the lower part of the slab into a marble basin below.

Hanyal Fountain

Now it is located next to the outer side of the Gate of St. George, below the statue of Eleftherios Venizelos. The apex of the arch around the slab is adorned with floral designs. A decorated relief frame surrounds the spout, from which the water flowed into a marble basin bearing similar designs.

Yenicar Aga Fountain

This fountain is now situated at the top of Ikarou Avenue next to the Museum of Epigraphy Collection. The lavishly decorated spout is in an arch flanked by two pillars adorned with rosettes.

Cornarou Square Sebil

The Sebil was built in 1776 by Hadjii Ibrahim Aga, who spent almost his entire fortune on maintaining it. It is the only preserved example of a Sebil in the city.

It has the form of a round domed building punctuated by semicircular barred windows. In front of it there is a fountain with a stone basin, where the water was once collected.

Many townsfolk and the local press suggested that the fountain should be demolished, along with the Church of San Salvatore. It is now used as a coffeehouse, continuing a tradition established in Ottoman times.