Category: Sights - Monuments


The general Francesco Morosini foreseeable designed and implemented with the assistance of engineers Zorzi Corner, Raffaello Monnani and Francesco Basilicata, the megalepivolo work of water supply, the construction of an aqueduct length of 15 kilometers,

Saint Titus

Saint Titus, or more properly the church of Saint Titus in Heraklion, is one of the most important monuments in the centre of town. It is set in a lovely square with a few cafés and bars, Agios Titos Square.


The Venetian armoury (Armeria or Armarento) is situated in the center of Herakleion, between the Loggia and St. Titus’ Square.

Church of St. Peter

In the coastal highway east of Heraklion, the Historical Museum, amid Byzantine ruins of buildings is the church of St. Peter.

Fitakis Megaron

The “Fitakis Megaron” is the first multi-storey apartment building in the city of Herakleion. It was built in 1926-1930, with remarkable neoclassical elements on its facades.

Fortezza Castle

The Venetian fortress of Fortezza is built of the hill of Paleokastro, west of the modern city of Rethymno. The engravings found in various parts of the hill suggest the existence of an acropolis.

Fountain in Roussospiti

At the village Roussospiti, which lies 10 kilometers away from the town of Rethymno, there is a very famous fountain that dates back to the 17th century.

Fountains of Heraklion

Apart from the famous fountain of Morosini, Heraklion since the time of the Venetians had shown exceptional beauty and other fountains, which have survived until today.

Gates of Heraklion

The Venetian fortifications had four main gates are located at the four cardinal points. In the north end of the current route on August 25, was the "Gateway to the shore" communicating with the port.

Home of Rasih Bay Aspraki

It was the home of Bey Rashih Asprakis, a Turkish wholesale dealer. It is also called the "Chronakis House". The building that still exists today was part of a larger mansion.

Koules Venetian Fortress

The Fort was built by the Venetians in the early years of their rule in Candia, to better protect the city's harbor, which was of paramount strategic and commercial importance.

Liopyrakis Megaron

The “Liopyrakis Megaron” is undoubtedly the most important example of the romantic neoclassical style in Heraklion.


The Loggia was the place where noblemen held their meetings to discuss political and financial issues.

Mosque Neratzes

The Nerantzes Mosque, which currently operates as a Music Academy, was the church of the Augustinians, dedicated to the Virgin Mary.

Palazzo dell Capitan Generale

The Palazzo dell Capitan Generale was located in the area of Theotokopoulos Park. Venetian maps depict it as a large three-storey building with multiple arched openings on the ground floor, boasting a chapel and a large courtyard.

Palazzo Ducale

The Palazzo Ducale, a two-storey structure with an arcade on the ground floor, dominated the heart of the Venetian town, in Kallergon Square and St. Mark's Square, right to the north of the Fontana Morosini.

Pananeio Primary School of Heraklion

The "Pananeio" Municipal Hospital was built with the financing of Pananos and Athena Theodoulaki to operate as a hospital. It was named after its founder.

Region of Crete Building in Chania (ex. Prefecture of Chania)

It was built during the last years of the Ottoman rule and was influenced by the imposing neoclassical buildings of the large urban centres.

Residence of Baroness Von Schwartz

It is an exquisite example of the Neoclassical Architecture in the last decades of the Ottoman occupation. Located in the suburb of Chalepa, it is one of the most important buildings of Chania.

Residence of Eleftherios Venizelos

The building was constructed in around in the district of Chalepa, a suburb of Chania. It took its present form in 1927, when Eleftherios Venizelos decided to renovate it.

Rimondi Fountain

The famous Rimondi fountain, located at the Platanos Square in Rethymno, which used to be the centre of the old Venetian town, was constructed by the town's rector A. Rimondi in 1626.

Ruga Maistra

The city's main thoroughfare in Herakleion is the 25th of August Street. In the Venetian times is now known as Ruga Maistra.

Saint Francesco Church

Agios Frangiskos (Saint Francis) was a church that belonged to a Franciscan monastery. Two chapels east of the church also preserved. The doorframe of the entrance, with its composite style chapters, is very impressive.

Saint Minas

The foundations of the imposing Saint Minas were laid on 25 March 1862. The site is said to have been indicated by a monk to whom St Minas appeared in a vision.

Prefecture of Heraklion

The building complex, consisting of three separate buildings, houses the Prefectural Government, the Courts and the Police Directorate. It is the result of the reconstruction of a Turkish building in the late 19th century.

Shipyards of Heraklion (Arsenali)

The shipyards were large oblong buildings with barrel-vaulted roofs, used for housing ships that needed protection or repair. They were also used for the construction of new vessels.

Saint Mark's Basilica

The church of St. Mark, dedicated to the patron saint of Venice was the official church of the Venetian city of Heraklion (Candia). Building began in 1239.

Stefanos Miliaras' heirs' Building

It is a very interesting example of an Ottoman building. It was built in 1878, according the neoclassical style, to house the offices of "Efkafion", the Turkish authority that was responsible for management of charity foundations.

25 August Street

Already from the Venetian period the road connecting the port to St. Mark's Square where there was the ducal palace, was the most important road of the city.

The Port of Heraklion

The Venetian port took its final form in the 16th or 17th century. Since then its entrance has been dominated by the formidable sea fortress commonly known by the Greek form of its Turkish name Kule ("tower"), which shows the significance of the area in t

Venetian Walls of Heraklion

Heraklion since the years of the First Byzantine Period (330-840 AD) had fortifications are completed by both the Arab conquerors (840-961 AD) and Byzantine (961-1204 AD ) and then by the Venetians in 1211 AD The looming threat of the Turks but forced Ven

Voltone Gate

The Voltone Gate was in the 25th of August Street. It linked the old Arab and Byzantine town to the hinterland and the “burghi”, the suburbs of the town, when it started expanding beyond the walls.

Water Reservoir Megali Vrisi at Krasi

The village of Krasi is about 47 km away from Heraklion. It is situated west of the foot of Mount Selena (1559 m altitude), at the southern edge of a small plateau. At the top of the village there is a large water reservoir called “Megali Vrisi” by the lo

The Fort of Monopari

After the 4th Crusade, Crete fell into the hands of Bonifacio Monferrato, who sold it to the Venetians after some time. However, in 1206, the Genoese pirate Enrico Pescatore occupied the island, fortified it and Venice only managed to recuperate it in 121